Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thoughts on the Law

I've been having a conversation with a lady on an online homeschooling group about the law.

How it all started was she was telling some of the other ladies there that it was a sin to wear pants, because the Bible tells us not to wear that which pertains to a man.

Anyway, I pointed out that that's in the law, and isn't mentioned again. And since we're under a new covenant we're not required to follow what's in the law.

She said that unless it's specifically abolished in the NT, we're still held accountable for it. I asked specifically about some things which aren't mentioned either in the NT or OT once they're set down in the law...for example the law of jealouses. (Num. 15, I think...)anyway, she says she'd go along with it. : P

I pointed out that Jesus came not to change the law but to fulful it, and even at the beginning of the church the gentiles weren't having to follow the law, except abstaining from fornication and idols, basically.

She wrote back that we'd just have to agree to disagree, which was actually what I was going to say, but then she tacked on something along the lines of hoping understanding would be opened, and although she put in a "you and I" sort of thing, it was obviously directed at me...that she still thinks I'm wrong.

It's been bugging me. I'll breathe, and say, "Just forget it, it doesn't matter." But it still bugged me. UNTIL...

I thought I'd look just a bit farther...I hadn't checked my dictionary yet on the matter. ; )

Fulfil = complete

Complete = finished, ended, concluded
In strict propriety, this word admits of no comparision; for that which is complete cannot be more or less so.

(American Dictionary of the English Language 1828 ed.)

SO...

If Jesus has fulfilled -completed- the law, it can not be part of it, or some of it; it MUST be ALL of it.

AH, so my understanding IS better. ; )

But, unfortunately, I can't post it there, because I said it was my last .02. lol

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Well done Paige! Jesus has completed it for us!

Thank you Jesus for letting me wear pants! Especially since it keeps my knees from getting frostbite! :)