Monday, February 18, 2008

Nothing to Do...

I'm still basically laid up with my back.

When I got up this morning, it didn't hurt, and I thought oh, boy, it's better! And went outside to feed the animals, and when I got back inside my leg had started going numb. SO, back to the couch for a while.

I've been reading National Geographics, and watching Andy Griffith re-runs, and playing a few board games with the girls as long as I can sit up. Mostly I just lay there, though. Not fun.

Still, we do have things to be thankful for. My nephew (we just found out) spent most of last week in the hospital. He almost went into a diabetic coma...his sugar was over 500 when they got him there, when they finally got it low enough to check it (apparrently they couldn't get a reading if it was over 500) and after a while it was down to 493. He is home now, though, Thank God, but still SO many new things...it'll be a new lifestyle for his whole family.

My sister was SO mad...they didn't call her or anything until Saturday, when his step-mom brought him by where she works and told her. She (step-mom) said he had lost so much weight that none of his pants fit and she had to go buy new ones...Mom said she bought him 34's for Christmas, and his step-mom had to buy 12 Husky. That's a dramatic weight loss...poor little fellow.

He was born the same year as Emma. They're both 12, but he will be thirteen next month. He was born the day after I found out I was pregnant with Emma. They've always been best friends. During Emma's one episode with formal schooling, I sent her to headstart, because if you asked "Who's your best friend?" She always said he was. So I (being the highly-intelligent being I was,) I sent her to Headstart. When the year was over, we asked her who her best friend was...and guess who. He still was. As she's gotten older she's gone more to girls for "best" friends, but he's still a really close one. The last time they were together they were planning a tree house. : )

We won't get to see him again, though, until they have everything figured out about his insulin and blood checking. Poor little fellow. I really do feel SO bad for him.

I told Daddy, though, after we found out about it, I REALLY don't see why he doesn't change his lifestyle NOW, in hopes that he doesn't get diabetes...he's already pre-diabetic, and won't do anything different. Just expecting it to happen, I guess, and feels it's inevitable. BUT, he really doesn't have a family history. One aunt and uncle have had diabetes, and both were very overweight. I just wish he'd change. Oh, well... : )

No comments: