Saturday, December 20, 2008

Home

"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in."Robert Lee Frost

Yesterday I needed to cook for the family reunion and today's Christmas party at mom's, so I went to my mom's house to do the cooking. I called my husband while the food was cooking, and he asked if I felt like an intruder, which was cool, because I had already been thinking about how nice it is that I can go into my mom's kitchen and start cooking exactly the same as if it were my own, even though it's been 14 years since I've lived there.

It reminded me of the quote above. My brother had that in his Literature course last year, and it's stuck in my head ever since. My mom has done an admirable job of making her children feel welcome again and again after they grew up and moved out and started their own families (never a "have to" sort of feeling there)...and I want that for my girls, too. I hope they always feel like our home is also their home, no matter how long they've been away.

No comments: