Tuesday, December 16, 2008

12-16-08

We went to the food bank to help this morning, and worked from 9-1. Both girls were exceptionally cute, Anna wore a Santa hat and stood by the Christmas tree with a bag of candy canes and a box of toys and gave them out, and Emma went this way and that, being as helpful as possible.

We came home to eat lunch, then went back out again (although it was VERY tempting to stay home) to the library, because they were having a community Christmas party, and we couldn't miss the wonderful food they always have. ; ) Not only are our librarians wonderful friendly people, they're also good cooks! lol A quick stop by the grocery store for some baking items(which I haven't exactly used yet) and finally I got to come home, get back in my pj's and lay on the couch for a little while....about five minutes, actually, because I thought I'd put a load of laundry in, then I made supper, then the laundry wanted to get out, then I made hot chocolate mix, then we walked Oscar (all these things were interspersed with bouts of computer, because I kept looking up recipes online...I printed out a stack of them, some to try *later*, some for now)

I made nachos bellgrande , or my version of it, because I keep forgetting the darn hamburger! You would think that would be kind of an integral part, wouldn't you? lol I made the refried beans, since I'm trying to cook more from scratch, and it couldn't be easier. I used this recipe. I did use canned beans, but I'm looking forward to starting with dry beans and working from there. I'm wanting to try making soup beans for supper one evening, then using the leftovers to make refried beans. I'll feel like SUCH a good homemaker when I do that. (Assuming everything goes as it *should*.) lol

I've been doing more things like that lately...like my hot chocolate mix. Emma LOVES hot chocolate, and I like my share, too. ; ) (Anna and Daddy can take it or leave it...mostly leave it.) I've bought two or three boxes of the little packets, but I like it home made better.

Hot Chocolate Mix

2 cups nonfat dry milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa (this is what the recipe says, but I put in more like 3/4 cup)
a pinch of salt
Mix well.

(I also add a handful or two of chocolate chips...can't have too much chocolate!)

Add 1/4 cup mix to 1 cup hot water, stir, add marshmallows and enjoy!

I pour everything into a gallon-sized freezer bag and shake it to mix everything, then drop a 1/4 measuring cup in and seal the whole thing in another gallon-sized freezer bag (because the first one always gets a hole in it.)

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Thanks for sharing the cocoa recipe. It sounds very good and I'll try it once my Nestle's runs out.

Thanks too for the info on JB Weld. We may try it, but I'm worried we may not be able to get the light back off to change the bulb when needed. Its not hanging out, but it is sitting in there loosely. I'll have to take a closer look once the snow stops and see if some how we could fix it from the inside.