Tuesday, March 11, 2008

And One More Thing...

Since we're at the library, I'll grouse about this....

The reading program the school has. I forget what it's called...Advanced Readers maybe? Anyway, the kids can read books (on their *grade level* or above) and get points for passing a test on it. Then they do something with the points....prizes probably.

The kids will be looking for a book, and there is ALWAYS a parent or grandparent there hanging over their shoulder saying, "This one is __ points." Not "This one looks interesting."...never that, only always points.

Last week there was a little girl with her grandmother, and her grandmother held out one of the Magic Tree House books. "This one is __ points." The little girl says, "Oh, I was wanting to read that one (starting to get excited) I saw it at............"(and she's drawing a blank) The grandmother jumps in and says, "School?" I'm thinking, "Well, Duh! If it was *school*, wouldn't the kid be able to come up with that word...she's obviously looking for a word she doesn't use much." The little girl finally got her word; scholastic. Scholastic book sales they do for fund-raisers. Makes more sense than "school".

Just about every week there's another one. It makes me sad.

1 comment:

Laura/CenterDownHome said...

Hi Paige --

I'm visiting from CenterDownHome. (Came to see your bookshelves!)

When I saw this post, I remembered how much I hate that program. Accelerated Reader, right? Read a book, take a test, rack up some points, win a pencil. Yuck. My boys were in First grade and kindergarten before we started homeschooling (later unschooling). I told my son that he could choose any books he wanted to read and not to worry about how many "points" they were worth. I talked to his teacher and opted him out of the program.

They had a party in the cafeteria at the end of the year for the kids who had racked up enough points. The other kids stayed behind in the classroom. In my son's class, there were three kids, including my son, who didn't go to the party. He didn't care, and had a good time playing with the other two kids, but I thought, what a stupid program. And it's all about money -- the Accelerated Reader Program is purchased by the county school system, and it ain't cheap.

Sorry for the rant! :)
My sons are 14 and 15 now, happy unschoolers.