Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Couple Things I Wish We Still Had...

Most things that we lose or that disappear I never think about again. However, there are a couple things we *really* regret losing...and since it's 1:21 am, and I'm waiting for Anna to get out of the bathtub before I go to bed, they're on my mind. (Don't ask...it's a convoluted mess in there...)

The first thing...our fern fossil. (It's actually only the first thing because that's how I loaded the pics.) ; ) This picture I, of course, borrowed from online, because we never actually took a picture of ours. I can describe it, though...grey rock (if it wasn't 1:24 am, I'd tell you the kind...), about 2 ft. square and about three inches thick. Daddy was hauling paper in the back of his truck in boxes and it started blowing out on the road. He pulled off beside the road and picked up a couple rocks laying (lying?) there and threw them in the boxes on top of the paper. When he got home he tossed them out of the boxes and one broke open and this perfect beautiful fern fossil was there. We admired it for awhile, then put it up for safekeeping...then lost it. What we assume happened was that when we moved we left the bed for my brother who was moving in as we were moving out, and the fossil was under the bed, and at some point when he moved the bed he picked up the rock underneath and tossed it. He looked on the banks near the house, but never found it. The other thing wasn't technically ever ours...but it could have been. There are a pile of these on e-bay for very little, so I *could* buy one, but it's the principle of the thing...; )

Mom found one or two of these Columbian Exposition coins sewn into the lining of an old coat...or was it in an old purse lining? Somewhere like that, anyway. Wrapped up in a handkerchief. Not having the internet at the time, we could only wonder at how much they might be worth...well, until we got to the library to look in a book. ; ) When we found out they weren't worth much, she just put them in a box with some other coins...kind of the beginnings of a coin collection my little brother had. Then one of my cousins came to live with them for a while. He stole anything that looked like it might be worth anything, and of course, these were among the first things to go.

I might buy me one eventually. I still think they're interesting coins. ; )

No comments: