Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Anna's Doctor Visit (Dermatologist)

On the plus side...the doctor was VERY nice. I wouldn't mind having a doctor that nice.

She went out to get a second opinion from a doctor named...Dr. Mader...and I am not kidding...he was JUST like Mater (CARS...y'know) lol I was cracking up.

Anyway, the lump was removed (with lots of accompanying screams), and is being sent off for a biopsy.

Anna was SO funny...she asked the dr what would happen to it when she cut it off...would it just fall off on the floor? lol She admitted that she HAD had that happen before.

I didn't like it...Anna was very unhappy and kept saying she just wanted to go home, and I tried to get her to calm down and she couldn't, and I couldn't think of what to do, besides just leave, and the thing needed to come off and be biopsied...and we ended up holding her down...(The numbing was lots worse than the actual removing. At least the first prick of the needle. She didn't even feel the second prick.) So we did hold her down, and I simply couldn't think *in the moment* of what I could do different. She had two options...have it slivered off today, in the office, or go to a different place where they would put her to sleep, but that would have included an IV...she was thinking ANYTHING to put it off, but we were trying to tell her that having an IV and all would be as bad or worse.

I tried to get her to do some visualization-things, remembering when we went on vacation last year, but she got to a place where she couldn't and I couldn't calm her down.

After it was all over (when the doctor said, "I'm done." Anna didn't even know she had done anything) Anna was rather embarassed that she had acted so, but it was too late then, and I think unless we can get something better for the next time it will just happen again.

If I was braver, I'd ask on UB for ideas of what is better to do, but I'm a big wimp. I'll go check the archives and see if I can find anything. ; )

**Addendum~On the way home from the library (I posted the first part at the library while they were doing their program) I asked Anna if she could think of something that would be better than me having to hold her down if something like that comes up again, and she said she prefers it that way! She said, if I lay on top of her and she hugs me real tight it's okay. SO, here I was seeing it as being cruel, and she was feeling secure.

Reminder for self: Ask the KID before asking other people.

Okay. Got that. ; )

1 comment:

Dawn said...

DS9 had a pygogenic cyst removed from the back of his neck months ago. He said the numbing shot was the worse part. I told him to cry out as much as he wanted but he didn't really. Tears were streaming down but he remained pretty silent.

I wondered if the shot was painful, why not just do the procedure without it since its going to hurt anyways? Although I suppose the numbing helps for afterwards as well.