Sunday, May 24, 2009

Third Week of May Recap

I'm going to try to do a quick recap of last week before I forget it all...

I've already blogged about the book sale, so I'll start after that...

Thursday, Daddy went up to Gilbert, WV, where the flooding was, to help bring a kitchen trailer back with a man who had been doing relief work. He was gone all day, because he worked in the morning, came home long enough to grab a snack and a water bottle, then he headed up there, and it was 8:45 pm when he got home. While he was gone Anna and I walked up the road a little ways to a spot of easy creek access and waded in the water a bit, then we came home and got Emma and we all walked to the end of the road and back. I cooked a chicken and made spinach soup again (and put a bit too much salt in the soup), and we all had homemade ice cream when Daddy got home...except for Daddy who is lactose intolerant. He had popcorn, and we all watched The Tale of Despereaux, which I enjoyed. It was a bit hard to follow in places, but still, a very satisfying movie.

One day this week...not sure which one...I cut my hay, then Friday I raked it and covered it just in case it rained Saturday, like was predicted...however, it didn't rain Saturday, and was beautiful and sunshiny and I could have left it out to dry a bit longer. Oh well. ; ) We went to visit my mom, and Anna found a tiny baby bunny getting eaten (or preparing to be eaten) by cats. She rescued it, and made a nest in a round plastic thingey for it, and brought it home with her. It's skin was torn off it's hind leg, but she still had hopes it would be okay. We put it in with Brussels Sprout, because we figured if anyone could help it, it would be Brussels Sprout. I looked up caring for baby bunnies online, though, and it said only 10% of wild bunnies taken in will live, and almost none that have been attacked by cats. : (

Saturday I began the day by buying strawberries...YUMMY!!! Then we went up to my mom's and spent the day, the squirrels playing with my sister's kids, and Daddy working on Mom's garage. In the evening we stopped at home for a minute and fed the baby bunny some fresh clover and spinach and lambs quarters. Then we went to a cookout with our food pantry friends. We were tired and not planning on staying long, but you know how it is, and we sat and talked, and the squirrels played baseball and hide-and-seek, and carried around the ABSOLUTELY cutest miniature dachshund EVER! His name was Zero, which was a dreadful name for someone so cute. : )

It was late when we got home, and I was planning on reading in bed for a bit before falling asleep, but only read one page and I was *gone*. I have no idea how late the squirrels stayed up, because they were still up, eating strawberries and reading when I went to bed. : )

Today when I went out to feed the rabbits, Anna's little wild bunny was almost dead, but I didn't wake her to tell her, only waited until she woke up, then told her, and when she went out to check, it had already died. We buried it next to the bunny hutches, nestled in some fresh hay. So, today has been a sad day for her. :,,,(

This week we have a dozen or so things to do, but only two actually marked on the calendar, so I'm hoping we can remember them all...I *really* need to get them all marked, but some things I don't remember the actual date we're supposed to be doing them! I guess I'll guess, and we'll see how well I do....I might at least learn to start marking things down. ; P

No comments: