Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We Had Another BLAST, Yesterday and Today!

And I don't have pictures yet! (Daddy did take his camera, but he hasn't loaded them.)

Yesterday We meant to simply run up to a store I've been wanting to check out. We did that, then stopped by a park, there was a cemetery next to it, so we went over to meander through it, and DH did some rubbings of a few stones. Then I remembered another park, so we were heading to there, but hubby missed the turn, and we just kept on going. lol

We came upon a riverside trail, so we decided to walk a bit, and it was AMAZING!! There were the hugest rocks I've ever seen, lots of beaver tracks and gnawed trees, a tunnel to walk through, a bridge to walk over....a HIGH bridge; the kind that gives you the willies.....deer tracks, raccoon tracks, fox tracks, and the wonderful river beside us the whole way.

We only passed 6 other people the whole time, and by the time we finished exploring it was getting dark. We want to go back soon, though, we didn't even make it a mile on the trail, we took so many side trails! lol

The girls and I were pretending to be explorers from early U.S. history, I was William Clark, Anna was Daniel Boone, and Emma was Squire Boone. We were heading back toward the van and I called Blitz! Emma said (as Squire), "What is a Blitz!?"... "What would they have yelled to get them running?" She thought a few minutes, then yelled, "Bear!" lol I laughed so hard I couldn't run...it's a good thing it wasn't *really* a bear. ; )

Emma was cracking jokes right and left.....I was climbing back up to the trail from the river, and both girls were already on the trail. I said, "It's not nice to leave your mother down over a cliff." Emma came back with, "Well, you were already over the hill." lol

Today we went back in the same direction, but took a side road and found a lovely trail with beautiful waterfalls! There was a bridge over the river, right above the first waterfall, then steps down to the base of the waterfall. It was cool and misty at the bottom of the waterfall, and SO beautiful!

We stopped on the way up several times to check out different sorts of geologic formations, and look for fossils. Anna found a rock with three lovely shells, and I found a small leaf and one shell. We also stopped where some red clay had slid down, and the girls played in it and Daddy brought some home with us.

We stopped at a spot where a fort was in pioneer days and looked around trying to see if we could tell where it had been. With a railroad and two bridges now it's hard to tell where it could be. I suspect it's under where the railroad is now.

It started raining while we were there, so we came home. It rained harder and the girls went out to enjoy the rain. (I confess, I went out a time or two, myself. lol)

This evening we went to my Mom's for supper and visiting with my sister.

When we got home, Anna turned her ankle. She's on the couch now watching The Lucy Show, and Emma is with Daddy watching Batman. I'm going to get off the computer and read......I'm reading two interesting books,1421 and The Speckled Monster: A Historical Tale of Battling Smallpox

They're both good reads...a bit much reading both at once, though, while thinking about local history, too. ; )

No comments: