Monday, February 9, 2009

*Such* a Fun Day!

We had a BLAST today...and I don't have a single picture to help me remember!

First the camera wouldn't come on, and when my husband picked it up to poke at it and see if he could get it to work, one of the batteries fell out and fell INTO THE VAN MOTOR!!! So I'm camera-less until either we buy new batteries or he lets me borrow his. (haha)

Anyway, today was SO much fun! It was warm...almost hot, even...and we decided to go for a picnic. We couldn't quiet decide where to go to picnic...DH wanted to go somewhere he could do some hunting with his metal detector, and I wanted to be near water, so we ended up driving down to the river and parking beside it.

We parked not far from an old grist mill, and the girls and I walked up and peeked around it a little. There was an old house across the road from it, with the coolest lightning rods on the roof.

We climbed down the bank and walked along the river and Anna found two deer skulls, and both Emma and Anna found beaver-chewed sticks which they brought home for walking sticks.

Anna picked up another stick, too, and stuck her deer skulls on it, through their eyes. It was SO freaky-looking. We were walking back to Emma with the deer-skull stick, and a truck passed us, and Anna said, "This looks casual, doesn't it?" lol

Farther down the road she spotted a hawk hanging dead in a bush....that's the second predatory bird we've found dead in just a couple days! So, of course we bagged it up and brought it home. (My husband pointed out it's illegal to have certain kinds of birds around, so we'll look at it, try to identify it, and then bury it with the owl we found the other day, which is STILL sitting on the porch.)

We drove up to another part of the river, and drove farther on that road than I'd ever been. On that streach we saw a blue heron and several Canada geese. Actually, the girls saw 2 herons...I only saw a glimpse of one, but the other was standing in the river, looking chilled. lol

We stopped for pizza on the way home, and now that we're here everyone except me is in the bedroom watching a new Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D (I can't watch because of my eyes.).

No comments: