Sunday, June 1, 2008

Snake in Yard...Must Blog....



Anna went out on the porch, and saw a snake in the yard! She (and Emma and I) had *just* been outside in the yard, and had missed it.
There was a blue jay scolding at it, and she saw first the bird, then the snake. We think it's a brown water snake...which is odd considering we don't really have any water close...a usually dry ditch, and that's it. It has rained a bit lately, so he may have followed one ditch to another and got here that way.
However he got here, he simply couldn't stay in my flower garden! (Echinacea, for those who wonder)
Daddy shoveled him into a bucket...spitting and wriggling (the snake, not Daddy, although he did do a bit of spitting himself..."It's striking! I think I should kill it!"...) and they're gone to let it out near a pond.
I, of course, stayed home to blog.
It's the first snake we've seen close since we moved here...6 years in June. Our last house had snakes everywhere...literally. It was built on stilts over a stream, and there were water snakes there, blacksnakes on the porch eating the bird eggs when birds had nests there in the spring, and the absolutely biggest ever king snake in the front yard. I swear, it was as big around as my forearm. (And I'm not exactly *skinny* lol)

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Maybe the snakes could help with the rats?

Paige said...

If it was a black snake, maybe. I'm not sure what this kind of snake eats...I did wonder if it was looking for a rat feast when we found it.

The rats have been mostly taken care of by the poison, though, so it would be slim pickings now. lol