Saturday, August 9, 2008

Little Miss Grits

Poor little Miss Grits died this morning. I don't usually cry over ~anything~, but I cried this morning. She was the sweetest rabbit we had...so picky, would only eat a certain kind of food(which required a drive of about 40 miles to get it), liked to eat apples and was grumpy when I forgot to bring her one, *really* enjoyed hay and clover....but was so sweet and loving while doing it I didn't mind a bit.

The rabbits were originally bought for food. Daddy said "We'll breed them, and won't have to buy meat from the store." Yeah, right. That lasted all of two litters, then we just kept the rest, babies and adults. Miss Grits was the best of them all. A rabbit with personality.

About the name. Some of our rabbits are named after foods, because they were intended for food. Grits came with Jowls (the Clampets on the Beverly Hillbillies eat grits and jowls, just in case you don't know where that came from. lol), we also have Brussel Sprout, Raisin (he's Brussel Sprout's last offspring, the only one she had, and he was all black and wrinkley, like a raisin.), Salt (she's an original one, bought to reproduce, but never did...she came with Pepper, who died ages ago)...Mainly we named the original ones intended for food after foods, we have two younger ones Little Grey and My Little Precious Bunny (so named by Anna) who aren't named for foods. Little Grey was Grit's last baby.

Anyway, when I went out this morning to feed them, she was laid out in her cage barely breathing. She lifted her head and looked at me when I came over, and I picked her up and held her until she died. Poor little thing. She hasn't been doing well for about a week now, not eating much at all, and not keeping clean like they usually do, so I knew it wouldn't be long, but still I was sad when it happened.

She was a good rabbit. Rest in Peace, little Grits.

No comments: