Wednesday, June 17, 2009

If It Weren't For Scheduled Posts...

I'd be posting nothing at all!

We've been on-the-go so much I've barely had time to check e-mails lately....and haven't taken time to blog about everything.

Some things I'm not mentioning...let's just say my neighbours are idiots...

Other things....

We've been helping at the food pantry fairly regularly. We were there Monday evening, and Tuesday and Wednesday morning. The squirrels bagged flour, oats, sugar....things like that, and I've sorted and stocked shelves and re-sorted and cleaned until I'm wore out! I was so tired this evening I took a nap when we got home.

Monday we helped sort a shipment of food, and Anna kept saying, "WHY do they buy food from these people?" because the boxes we were sorting through had trash in them. I swear, some of them looked like they'd swept the floor and just threw in whatever they swept up....NASTY stuff, too. We keep buying food from them because it's cheap, but I hope someone calls and complains. There's no sense in them sending us boxes of trash. : (

I wish I had my camera handy...I'd like to take a pic of my garden and brag about it! It has done SO good this year! It's tiny, but lush. : ) I think we have 12 tomato plants, 6 hot peppers (I'm hoping to get jalapeno's, but haven't remembered them yet...), three pumpkins (they're funky old-fashioned lumpy things that store well....well, that is, once they *have* pumpkins they will be. The plants are just about hand-sized right now.), and lettuce and onions, and cucumbers. (And peas, but they're about done, so I won't mention them.) That's the back garden...in the front I have some zuchinni, a sunflower and a few peanuts. The sunflower came up on it's on under the bird feeder, and I'm assuming about the peanuts. I planted some, but until they're bigger I'm not *positive* that's what they really are. lol

My squirrels have been spending lots of time with the x-box, and reading. Emma has read almost 40 books in the past few weeks. She asked if I'd get Pride and Prejudice and War and Peace at the library, so we went yesterday while we were out, and she looked at War and Peace and decided it was boring and she didn't want it, but she did get Pride and Prejudice. She also got two Shakespeare for kids books, and several others she's read before and wanted to read again.

She's been wanting to read "real" Shakespeare....we have As You Like It and ...I've gone blank on the other one...in comic form, and she enjoyed the stories, so she said she'd like to read them *as* stories, not as comics. I thought a Shakespeare for kids would be more readable than a *regular* Shakespeare, although I bought an anthology of his plays at the latest used book sale, in case she wants to see them.

My mom was so surprised when Emma was listing her favourite books and mentioned the two Shakespeare plays as favourites. As a former high-school English teacher she knows Shakespeare as something to be avoided by young adults. lol

Anna is still spending large chunks of time outside. She fixed herself a "kitchen" in the front yard, and she goes out there and makes mud cakes and pies and decorates them. : ) At the food pantry yesterday she found an old rat skull outside and brought it home with her. Ewww! lol

No comments: